Sunday 17 March 2024

Rebased, and only the loss of a half pint of blood!

 

Well I made a decision regarding the beautiful figures painted by Peter Gilder that had been part of a display that Hinchliffe Models had used at their shows in the 1970's and 1980's. I must admit I was concerned because you can really damage old figures when you are forcing them from old bases and in this case a lump of hardwood. 

           Before I wax lyrical can I thank Iain Macmillan yet again for his wonderful genorosity.

But I managed with just a couple of holes in my hand but no damage to the figures. Whats a bit of blood where art is concerned.



Im not overstating the art part because if one carefully examined each figure it showed the inovative techniques that Gilder pioneered and made his own. The cavalier officer is a brilliant example of all his techniques. The wipe off effect on the horse, using oils and a piece of soft rag. The exagerated button work and the careful lightening of the jackets by a little wipe with a wet brush.
Okay they wont stand scrutiny with modern painters, especially David Imrie, Mark Copplestone or others, but this man was the one who showed thousands of wargamers that basic didnt have to be the standard and witha little thought a beautiful effect could be created, and thats before he producded his wonderful and inspiring terrain and massive battles.
I will leave the images to show people why Gilder was the man who drove standards for wargaming in the 19701980's and 1990's.










9 comments:

  1. Well worth losing some blood, they have turned out really well and look quite superb. Lovely to see them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Donnie although Im not certain whether they will ever grace a wargame.

      Delete
  2. Hear! Hear! I have some cavalry like that same pose same paint job - I thought they were PG's but as clearly attributed in MW#13 they were painted by Phil Robinson. I currently have one left over from the unit so have been agonizing over whether to tart him up a bit (he has a plain saddle cloth) and make him a general.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ive got a couple of Phil Robinson figures and given he was taught by Gilder it is always very difficult to attribute any figure to the great man.

      Delete
  3. They have a style of their own which I think rivals any modern figures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for showing these Robbie, I did not realise that was where the wipe-off technique originated , it still looks good.

    ReplyDelete